July 2021 – When in Rome…
When in Rome…
When we were in high school very few of us ever visited Rome or any part of Italy for that matter.
So why in the world did we learn Roman numerals in school? It seemed like “Greek” to me. (Pardon the pun.)
After high school, I began to realize that the use of Roman numerals wasn’t a “dead”
How many times do we see Roman numerals in everyday life? You might be surprised.
- If you watch a television show or a movie to the end of the credits, you will see the year it was made in Roman numerals.
- The copyright year of some books and maps.
- Multiple generations in a family with the same name, like Frederick II.
- Royalty with the same name (King George V).Super Bowl LV.
- World War II or WW II.
- Page numbers (lower case Roman numerals) for the Front Matter (pages preceding the main body) of a book.
How many other examples do you know?
Q. Who was one of the first indigenous people in Ontario to obtain his Grade 13 diploma from Campbellford High School
A. Find out the answer in next month’s newsletter.
Last month’s answer: Thomas Arthur Brown was the building contractor of the Campbellford High School located at 119 Ranney Street.
Sorry, there were no replies found.